- Play and interact with your awake baby lots in the time leading up to your session. We want baby to be nice and sleepy during the session, not ready to play! A bath usually helps if given a few hours before your scheduled session.
- A baby with a full tummy is a happy, sleepy baby 😉 Please be prepared to feed baby a few times during your session. If you live close to the studio, feed baby before you leave home and hopefully he/she will be in a nice deep sleep upon arriving at your session.
- Newborn sessions take 2-3 hours, as we won’t rush at all and simply follow baby’s lead! We will spend lots of time simply soothing and snuggling your little one, so feel free to bring snacks, a book, or take a doze. Oh, and make sure you let Dad know it will take this long!
- Bring some extra wipes and burp cloths, and maybe even a spare shirt as almost all parents get peed or pooped on during a session. It’s hard to avoid with a naked newborn around!
- The room will be nice and toasty warm, as we want baby to be comfortable enough to sleep in the nude. Dressing in layers is a great idea!
- If you have older children you’d like photographed with your newborn, we will do those pictures either at the beginning or end of the session. Three hours is a long time for big brother or sister, so plan on having one parent or grandparent either bring them late to the session or leave early with them so they don’t have to stick around.
- Please, please jot down a list of newborn poses or shots that you’d like to have with your baby, but remember that we will follow the lead of the baby. Not all babies like certain poses, but I promise we’ll do the best we can!
Newborns are photographed best in their new skin, as clothes rarely fit them well. Please dress the your new baby in a loose button up sleeper so it is easy to undress the baby and limit the redness of elastic bands on their sensitive new skin. Parents should wear solid colored shirts that aren’t to bulky and siblings should wear something simple as well so that the tiny new baby isn’t lost in the pictures. I am okay with showing skin and using wraps on parents and siblings and think those images are beautiful, so if you are up for this just let me know. Almost all hats, headbands, wraps and props you see in my work belong to me and are in the studio. Please feel free to bring anything you wish to incorporate in the session but don’t feel like you need to.
For older babies up to a year old please bring a few outfit changes and we will get through as many as we can, but know that sometimes they only tolerate a few changes before they fall apart. Diaper covers and simple timeless classic clothing looks great as well as little bare feet! I have a few things for children this age in the studio that we can use too.
No worries, we will send you lots of other newborn tips and suggestions on how to prepare your baby for his or her big photo day!
We look forward to meeting you and your new addition!